Aspartame... the un-comfortable truth
The FDA continued refusing approval up until the point where president Reagan was elected (he was a very close friend to G.D. Searle- now Monsanto) who then fired the commissioner for the FDA who had refused the use of aspartame. Consecutively Dott. Arthur Hull Hayes was nominated commissioner. The strong opposition for approval to the substance continued to the point where an Investigative Committee was nominated. This was the reply of the commission: 3 do not approve aspartame2. Anyway Dott. Hayes over ruled the decision and approved the use of aspartame.
Shortly after the decision to utilize aspartame in soft drinks containing gas, the commissioner Arthur Hull Hayes, signed a contract of collaboration with the public relations agency G.D. Searle.
LONG TERM DAMAGE
METHANOL ( methyl alcohol / poison ) ( of which aspartame contains 10% ).
Methanol is a deadly poison. Some people may remember that methanol caused the death and blindness to a high number of wine consumers just a few years ago ( in Europe ). Methanol is gradually released in the small intestine when the methilic group of aspartame comes into contact with the chymotripsyne enzyme.
The absorption of methanol in the body is accelerated considerably when free methanol is ingested. Free methanol is formed when aspartame is heated above 30 C. This occurs when a product containing aspartame is stored and conserved impropriately or when it is heated for example, as a component in another food product.
Inside the body methanol is transformed
in to formic acid and formaldehyde. Formaldehyde is a deadly neurotoxin.
A valuation by the EPA ( Environmental Protection Agency ) on methanol
declares that it is considered an accumulative poison thanks to it1s
low escrementation once it is absorbed. In the body, methanol becomes
oxidized in to formaldehyde and formic acid; both when metabolized become
toxic. Researchers from the EPA reccomend a daily absorption of no more
The main problems from methanol poisoning
known to this day are related to the eyesight. Formaldehyde is a well
documented cancerous agent and causes damage to the retina, interferes
with DNA reproduction and causes birth defects. Due to some key enzymes
that are missing, human beings are more highly sensible to the effects
of methanol in comparison to animals.Therefore tests conducted on aspartame
and methanol in laboratories, ( where the price is paid by animals ),
do not reflect the correct danger for humans. As precisely stated by
Dott. Woodrow C. Monte, director of the laboratory in the University
of Arizona for Food Science and Nutrition 3 there have been no studies
or research carried out in human beings or on mammals to value possible
mutating, teratogenic or cancerous effects caused by chronic assimilation
It has been precisely stated that in fruit juices and alcoholic beverages there are small doses of methanol. It is important to remember that methanol contained in natural products is not alone. In any case ethanol is present, usually in higher quantities than methanol. Ethanol is a natural anti-oxidant against the toxicity of methanol in humans. American troops during the gulf war were given beverages sweetened with aspartame that had been heated by the Arabian sun to temperatures over 30 C. Many of them returned home with numerous disturbances similar to the ones verified in people poisoned by formaldehyde. Free methanol in the beverages could have been one of the factors that contributed to the manifestations. Other products in the dis-composition of the aspartame like diketopiperazine (DKP), could have been another factor in the triggering of the reactions.
In an act that can only be described as senseless and irresponsible, the FDA approved the use of aspartame as an ingredient in numerous food products that can be heated above 30 C.
In a more serious matter, on the 27th.
of June 1996, without public notice, the FDA canceled all
The truth concerning the toxicissity
of aspartame is far diverse from what the Nutra Sweet Company publicizes
and wants the public to believe. In February 1994, the DHHS ( Department
of Health and Human Services ) in the U.S.A. published the list and
informed the FDA, of the side effects. Aspartame has represented more
than 75% of all side effects signaled to the ARMS ( Adverse Reaction
Monitoring System ) of the FDA. The FDA itself admits that only ONE
However, the FDA has a big problem in
replying and keeping track of the complaints they receive ( they have
never replied to the letter sent by the WEB MASTER of this internet
site,www.holisticmed.com...one of the major victims ! ) and furthermore
they tend to discourage any form of protest. The fact is that the GREATER
PART of the victims have no evidence or
These are the reactions and side effects:
Aspartame can make worse or imitate the
following illness symptoms:
Methanol when derived from aspartame, is liberated in the small intestine when the methilic group in aspartame meet1s with the chimotripsina enzyme ( Stegink 1984, Pg. 143 ). Free methanol begins to form when ever any liquiform product containing aspartame reaches an above 30 C. temperature...this occurs naturally in the human body.
Methanol therefore is converted in to formaldehyde. Formaldehyde then creates formic acid, the poison in ants. Formic acid is toxic and is used as an activator in paint strippers for urethan coverings and as an epoxidic resin. Imagine what it does to your human tissue!
Phenylalanine and aspartic acid constitute 90 % of aspartame and these amino acids, if ingested with food, are used in a normal manner by our organism for the synthesis of protoplasm.However when they are not accompanied by the other amino acids that we ingest in any normal containing protein ( we use approx. 20 ), they become neuro toxins.
This is the reason why we find on products
such as EQUAL and other products containing aspartame, warnings regarding
Phenylketonuria ( PKU ).The population suffering from this disturbing
condition is 2 % which causes an extreme sensibility to this substance,
unless it does not derive from food. This provokes problems to the brain
and numerous defects at birth. The end
In other words: Aspartame converts itself into a series of dangerous sub-products for which there are no natural counter measures. The empty stomach of a person on a diet accelerates the conversion and amplifies the damage. The components in the aspartame go straight to the brain, causing strong migraines, mental confusion, convulsions and balance problems. Rats and other animals used in laboratory tests all died from brain tumors.
In spite of defensive assertions from Monsanto and other associations:
1. Methanol from alcohol and fruit squashes is not converted into formaldehyde in any significant amount. There is strong scientific evidence to confirm this fact regarding alcohol and reasonable proof for the squashes.
2. Formaldehyde obtained from methanol is highly toxic even in *very low* amounts as highlighted in recent scientific research.
3. The chronic toxicity, reactions and damage caused by aspartame derive from the transformation of methanol into formaldehyde and other products from it1s metabolization even if the industries try to demonstrate the opposite by limited researches using an experimental substance which is chemically different and is absorbed diversely in comparison to the original that is sold on to the public. Almost all the independent studies, strange as it may seem indicate that aspartame can cause grave problems to the health.
4. An easy way out used often by the Monsanto is to sustain that aspartame is 3 safe 3 but nonetheless some people could have some 3 allergic 3 reactions.This type of absurdity is a typical one from Monsanto. The tests carried out by them indicate that aspartame does not cause 3 allergic2 reactions. This is their way of trying to minimize and hide the numerous and dangerous reactions that people are enduring as a consequence of long term use of aspartame.
Due to the following argumentations,
for the researchers it is definitely premature to discard the
1. The amount of methanol ingested thanks to aspartame is without precedents in human history. The amount of methanol intake from fruit juice does not even come close to the quantity ingested from aspartame, particularly for the people that drink 1-3 litres ( or more ) of diet drinks a day. In a diverse manner from methanol derived from aspartame, methanol from natural products probably is not absorbed or is not converted to the relative toxic metabolics in the amount discussed earlier.
2. The missing scientific comparisons relative to the changes of formic acid and formaldehyde in the plasma does not preclude that the damage is caused by these toxic metabolics. The changes in the levels often can not be detected if the methanol is taken for a short period of time.
3. The products that contain aspartame more often provide little or no nutritious substances that give protection against chronic poisoning from methanol and are often consumed between meals. The persons that ingest these products because their following a diet with a low calorie count frequently have nutritional prevations in respect to people that drink fresh juices.
4. People with certain health problems or that use certain drugs can be much more succepttable to chronic methanol poisoning.
5. A slow poisoning due to the prolonged ingestion of these substances will break out into chronic disease and side effects. A lot of chronic diseases that may appear all of a sudden are in reality have been maturing in the body for years.
6. A growing number of researches show that a vast amount of people are highly sensible even to low doses of formaldehyde in the ambient. Being exposed to formaldehyde in the ambient and swallowing methanol ( which is converted into formaldehyde ) derived from aspartame probably has a cumulative effect that is deleterious.
7. It has been acknowledged that formic acid tends to accumulate slowly in various parts of the body. The formic acid inhibits ( according to certain studies ) the metabolism of the oxygen.
8. A growing number of people after having ingested products that contain aspartame for a prolonged period of time, show chronic health problems similar to the side effects of chronic methanol poisoning. These include many cases of lesions to the eyesight apparatus similar to the lesions acknowledged in methanol poisoning.
An additional note on the toxic effects
If you are a consumer of any product
containing aspartame and have physical, eyesight or mental
Aspartame has become 3 an approved
sweetener 3 thanks to a few avid and dishonest persons that speculate
treading the on the lives and the health of people. Since the FDA and
the politicians are heavily compromised in this scandal, only an informed
and active public can obtain the reclassification of this 3 food additive
3 into TOXIC SUBSTANCE and it1s removal from the human food chain.